In astrology, each age is ruled by a house, which determines the theme for you that year. A baby’s first year of their life, at age zero, is ruled by the 1st house. Their second year alive, at age one, is ruled by the second house… and so forth, until the twelfth house, in which the cycle repeats itself. With age, each house becomes more unique and complex.
And so, the current age you are says a lot about what you will be focused on and experiencing in that time. Looking ahead, you can use this system to figure out what the year holds for you on your next birthday.
In astrology, this is one of the easiest aspects to figure out — all you need to know is your age! You don’t need location or exact time of birth, all you need to know is how old you are. And yet, it is one of the lesser-known tools of astrology.
Looking at the zodiac wheel, you can see that each house has an opposite house across from it. When a house is activated, it also activates the opposing house — as above, so below. Therefore, when you experience the year of certain house, you will also feel secondary themes of the opposite house — less intense, but still important.
Age of the 1st house
Ages: 0, 12, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, 84, 96…
The 1st house age can feel like a new beginning. It’s a time in your life in which you are mainly focused on yourself, your image, and how you present yourself to the world. It can even go deeper than that — concerning yourself with your life purpose and destiny.
This is generally a very positive year, in which a sense of freshness helps you turn a new chapter and let go of the past. There’s a burst in energy. It may not necessarily be a dramatic year, in which many changes happen all at once — rather, you are planting seeds for new projects and paths that will manifest in the next few years or so. You may not realize how life-changing this year was until you look back on it.
In this year, you may be…
- Creating a whole new identity for yourself.
- Drastically change your appearance, such as hairstyle or wardrobe.
- Plant seeds for new beginnings.
- Experiencing a burst in energy.
- Putting yourself first.
- Become in touch with your “life purpose.”
Secondary theme: 7th house
Age of the 2nd house
Ages: 1, 13, 25, 37, 49, 61, 73, 85, 97…
This is the age of “resources.” You’re focused on money, possessions, and purchases. But aside from the material world, you’re also heavily concerned with emotional resources — like who is there for you, or mental resources — how much do you know and understand.
At this age, you may take steps to assure that you are secure — make investments, plan for the future, purchase something for the long-term, etc. You are more attracted to those who can offer you stability. Depending on other factors, you could either end up overspending and overindulging yourself in materialism, or just the opposite, by holding onto your money and using it extra wisely.
- Making investments and saving your money.
- Or, just the opposite, by overspending and overindulging.
- Becoming more concerned or aware of your finances.
- Making a long-term purchase.
- Prioritizing friends or a partner who offers stability and reliability.
- Collecting items.
Secondary theme: 8th house
Age of the 3rd house
Ages: 2, 14, 26, 38, 50, 62, 74, 86, 98…
This age brings themes of communication, primary learning, and peers. And especially for older ages, there is inner-child healing and a recollection of your younger years. Attention is drawn to your friends, classmates or coworkers, siblings and cousins, and neighbors. There is also a lot of local travel.
There is a theme of expressing your voice — you could be speaking out more, or writing, or teaching, or using other forms of communication to make a difference in your life. A lot of ideas burst through. It can be a highly social year, hanging out with friends, spending more time with siblings, getting to know your neighbors, etc. You may take on a new hobby just for fun. It’s generally a light-hearted year.
- Eagerness to try new things — a little bit of everything.
- Speaking out more, writing, displaying art
- Spending time with your peers, siblings, neighbors.
- Inner-child healing,
- Learning or re-learning basic concepts
- Taking on new hobbies for fun.
Secondary theme: 9th house
Age of the 4th house
Ages: 3, 15, 27, 39, 51, 63, 75, 87, 99…
This is a deep year of exploring your subconscious. Hidden thoughts, feelings, and emotions that have been suppressed for years come back to the surface. This is not so much a time of accomplishment, but a point of pausing, reassessing, and reflecting. Although you may still have accomplishments, they will be more secretive and on the down-low.
At this age, more attention is drawn to your home and family. You may be spending more time at home, even moving locations. Also, you may be spending more time with your family. Emotional stability is prioritized. You shy away from taking risks and gravitate towards what brings you comfort.
- Spending more time at home — possibly redecorating or moving.
- Spending more time with family.
- Exploring your subconscious, hidden feelings come to the surface.
- Craving comfort and emotional stability.
- Deep reflection and introspection.
- Isolation and reclusion, keeping secrets.
Secondary theme: 10th house
Age of the 5th house
Ages: 4, 16, 28, 40, 52, 64, 76, 88, 100…
This is a time of change, but in a fun and playful way. This year brings excitement and passion. It can also bring very sexual energy. For some, there is a higher chance of pregnancy and childbirth. Overall, there is creation — which can refer to literal conception, or metaphorically giving birth to a new project.
At this age, you may be taking a lot of risks and gambles. There’s a heavy thrill-seeking energy. Your inner child comes alive, with your imagination and creativity bursting through. No matter your age, you feel young again.
- Trying new things, experimentation.
- Embracing your inner-child.
- Burst of creativity and imagination.
- Spending more time with children.
- Taking risks and thrill-seeking.
Secondary theme: 11th house
Age of the 6th house
Ages: 5, 17, 29, 41, 53, 65, 77, 89, 101…
A more serious year, this age is about routine and daily habits. Self-discipline is high, as you prioritize your health and tend to make more rational decisions. You could jump into a strict regimen, such as a diet plan, workout schedule, skincare routine, etc. As attention is drawn to the details, you keep better track of your daily habits.
Health comes to the surface for better or worse. A long-term health issue could announce itself, or simply you may become more aware of how important it is to stay healthy. Both mental and physical health is a priority.
- Paying more attention to health.
- Sticking to routine and ritual.
- A new diet, or workout routine, or skincare regime, etc.
- Tracking your daily habits.
- Going to therapy.
- Investing in wellness products.
Secondary theme: 12th house
Age of the 7th house
Ages: 6, 18, 30, 42, 54, 66, 78, 90…
This is the age of finding “your other half.” For some, that can mean entering a romantic relationship. For others, this can be about connecting deeply with a best friend. Even in other cases, it can be about taking on a business partner. Marriage and legal contracts can play a large factor.
At the same time, it’s also about finding the other half of yourself, inside of yourself — confronting your dark side. You’re re-learning who you are, embracing your flaws, exposing the parts of yourself that you used to feel ashamed of.
- Entering a romantic relationship, or meeting a new best friend.
- If already coupled, taking relationship to a higher level, possibly marriage.
- Success with a co-worker or business partner.
- Entering (or breaking) a legal contract.
- Self-discovery, getting in touch with your shadow-side.
- Embracing your flaws.
Secondary theme: 1st house
Age of the 8th house
Ages: 7, 19, 31, 43, 55, 67, 79, 91…
An intense age, this is the year of total transformation. It can be incredibly difficult because the universe is essentially breaking you down so that you can be reborn again. It’s not easy, but you’ll come out of it ten times stronger.
This year dives you into the unknown, the mysterious, and the taboo. Your focus is on the darker side of life — deeply pondering what happens after death, digging into spiritual concepts, maybe even exploring the occult. There could be a burst of power, or a struggle with power. For some, highly sexual energy. You could even get involved in a scandal.
Secondary theme: 2nd house
- Intense transformation.
- Cutting people out of your life, losing touch with old friends.
- Feeling drawn to the paranormal, mysteries, occult.
- Getting involved in scandal or taboo.
- Increase of power, or struggling for power.
Age of the 9th house
Ages: 8, 20, 32, 44, 56, 68, 80, 92…
This age is all about moving forward. Recovering from hardships of the 8th house year, the universe has prepared you to seek a new adventure. It’s a common year for traveling to foreign land or moving homes. If not literal travel, there is certainly exploration of the mind.
Attention is drawn to higher education and spiritual mastery. You could be perfecting a skill, taking a high-level course, teaching students a complex topic, etc. You may find yourself becoming more religious or spiritual at this time. Major progress is happening. Overall, it’s a very lucky year.
- Taking on a leadership role.
- Higher education, perfecting a skill.
- Teaching others a skill or complex topic.
- Moving forward.
- Accomplishment and achievement.
- Religious or spiritual development.
Secondary theme: 3rd house
Age of the 10th house
Ages: 9, 21, 33, 45, 57, 69, 81, 93…
This age puts a spotlight on your reputation. You will receive more attention and recognition for your achievements; in the extreme, you may skyrocket to fame. People are looking at you more than usual, and you become highly aware of your character and outward appearance.
There’s a great emphasis on your career. It’s common to experience a major career shift. You’re more fixated on your job or education than usual. Or you could be getting more involved in a volunteer program. It’s a great opportunity for networking, getting noticed, and sharing your ideas with the world.
- Changing career path or educational path.
- Spotlight on your career, increase of responsibilities or promotion.
- Focus on your self-image and reputation.
- More attention and recognition, possibly fame.
- Working very hard.
- Networking and sharing ideas.
Secondary theme: 4th house
Age of the 11th house
Ages: 10, 22, 34, 46, 58, 70, 82, 94…
This year is generally optimistic and hopeful, with a spotlight on community. You are focused on your “support system” — whether that means your friendship circle, your family, your coworkers, your classmates, your teammates, etc! You are likely to engage in volunteer work and social justice. There is a sense of belonging as well as an urge to help those less fortunate.
Attention is drawn to the future. It’s time for you to take steps towards long-term visions and goals. There’s a significant amount of growth and healing at this time — it’s a gentle and loving push from the universe. You’re ready for change, trying new things, doing something different, and getting out of your comfort zone.
- Being part of a community or team; sense of belonging.
- Volunteering and charity work, social justice.
- Making plans for the future.
- Faith and healing.
- Pushing out of your comfort zone.
- Embracing change and uniqueness.
Secondary theme: 5th house
Age of the 12th house
Ages: 11, 23, 35, 47, 59, 71, 83, 95…
This is not an easy age — it’s rather heavy. You’re going through the process of closing up a major chapter of your life. Grief and loss come to the forefront. You’re feeling extra sensitive, nostalgic, and reminiscent. The universe is forcing you to let go and surrender.
However, this is also the wisest and most spiritual year of all. You can gain so many incredible insights and revelations, experiencing a boost in your intuition. Many people may come to you seeking advice; someone could tell you an important secret. You could even open your third eye and learn secrets of the Universe. It’s important to rest and get extra sleep at this age.
- Lethargy, a greater need for rest and relaxation.
- Closing a chapter in your life.
- Cutting people out of your life.
- Spending more time alone, in deep introspection.
- Spiritual revelations.
- Secrets come out.
Secondary theme: 6th house